Philip Summers from Hand-Drawn Game Guides joins the show to talk about his first and wildly successful Kickstarter. From Ninja Gaiden to Metroid, we chat about his approach to writing a guide, as well as drawing them! We also celebrate the return of Metroid during the series’ 35th anniversary.
Co-founder of IGN, Peer Schneider sits down with Max Roberts to offer a look inside the world’s largest gaming website—IGN. Peer shares about bringing video games back on TV, reacting and responding to the audience, and how to keep reporting entertainment and gaming news fresh over the course of 20 years. With 156 million monthly users across 12 platforms, IGN is a massive machine. Join us for a peek at the parts the make it all work and the community that fuels it.
Dope facts about Peer Schneider
- Peer is a meme. For real. Check it out.
- Peer grew up in Germany, went to college in Japan, and now helps run IGN in America.
- Peer wrote the IGN review for Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. I love that game dearly.
Links to articles mentioned in the interview
(Listed in order of publication date)
- Imagine Games Network (Original Website)
- Origins: The History of IGN
- Airship Travelogues Episode 006: IGN64 Nostalgia
- Peer Schneider (Special Guest) – Kinda Funny Gamescast Ep. 89
- IGN X Twitter E3 2017 Coverage Press Release
- Don’t Die Interview with Peer Schneider
- Action and Reaction with Peer Schneider: Pockets Full of Soup Ep. 48
- Games You Should Be Playing Right Now – The IGN Show EP. 7
“If you frequent websites and YouTube channels and Twitch streams and you like something, say so. You do not understand how important it is to laud people for a job well done. And usually, we have this reaction where we want to say ‘That was awesome’ and step away. You can’t do that. Just like when you are angry—so important to give feedback when you are angry or when you disagree, very important to give that feedback—but remember to do it when you like something.”
— Peer Schneider on Action and Reaction with Peer Schneider: Pockets Full of Soup Ep. 48.
This episode was recorded on July 26, 2017.
Jerrad Wyche celebrates the most wonderful time of the year with me. We chat about E3’s return in 2021 with a focus on Nintendo and Xbox. Metroid lives and Starfield has a release date before Halo Infinite. Like I said, it is the most wonderful time of the year.
Overall E3 2021 Impressions
Ubisoft’s Avatar and Star Wars
Death Stranding Director’s Cut
- Death Stranding Director’s Cut Teaser
- What is Going on with Blue Box Game Studios?
- Returning to Death Stranding Six Months Later
The Sequel to Breath of the Wild
- Note: I did remember that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks used the same assets, as well as A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes. This is the first time for a major 3D Zelda release though, since Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Logan Moore reunites with Max Roberts for the time-honored tradition of predicting E3. Before that, they chat about Logan’s new job at Comicbook.com and just why he loves the Dark Souls game so much.
- The Final Episode of Millennial Gaming Speak
- Episode 6: That’s Why They Call Me a Podcast Killer with Casey Liss
- Announcing Chapter Select
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 1 – The Last of Us
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 2 – The Last of Us Part II
- Chapter Select: Season 1, Episode 1 – Paper Mario
Working in Video Game Journalism
What’s the Deal with Dark Souls?
Cross-Generational PlayStation Games
- Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios
- Jim Ryan PS5 Interview
- Colin’s Horizon Forbidden West Tweet
- God of War (2018) Digital Foundry
- God of War (2018) ran at 1080p with an uncapped, but closely held 30fps on base PS4. Heat/Fan noise was prevalent.
- 25 Games PlayStation Studios games in Development
- Sony Reverses Decision to Shut Down PS3 and Vita Stores
- Horizon Forbidden West – State of Play
E3 2021 – PlayStation Predictions
- Logan’s PlayStation Predictions
- Spider-Man 2 is Revealed, Black Suit Spidey confirmed
- BioShock 4 is revealed for the first time, no gameplay shown but the trailer reveals the location at the least
- Half-Life: Alyx is announced for PSVR 2
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 confirmed to be in development but it’s very, very far away
- Konami IP appears, coming to PlayStation as an exclusive
- Max’s PlayStation E3 Predictions
- Sunset Overdrive comes to PS5
- A mascot character returns
- No new Horizon Forbidden West footage
- Metal Gear Solid / Snake is in the showcase
- Final Fantasy XVI gameplay and date
E3 2021 – Xbox Predictions
- Logan’s Xbox Predictions
- Halo Infinite multiplayer will be primarily highlighted, alpha/beta date revealed
- A new Banjo game will finally be announced, being worked on by second party company
- Battlefield 6 announced to release on Game Pass at launch
- Wolfenstein 3 is teased, logo shown and that’s it
- Psychonauts 2 release date set for August 20th
- Max’s Xbox E3 Predictions
- Halo Infinite Beta – Today
- Starfield only gets a trailer. No gameplay
- Perfect Dark gameplay and release window announced
- Bethesda shows off Indiana Jones gameplay
- Microsoft announces an exclusive from a prominent Japanese developer
E3 2021 – Nintendo Predictions
- Logan’s Nintendo Predictions
- Switch Pro isn’t appearing at E3, at least not as a reveal
- Breath of the Wild sequel will be shown but no release window given
- Two Smash characters will be announced; Waluigi and Master Chief
- New Metroid game is announced and Nintendo also comments on Metroid Prime 4’s development.
- Bayonetta 3 is absolutely showing up
- Max’s Nintendo Predictions
- Breath of the Wild sequel shown off with no date
- Doug Bowser and Bowser, The Koopa King appear on screen together
- Mario Kart 9 is announced. Holiday 2021
- New Metroid games do not make an appearance in the Direct
- The GameCube makes an appearance.
- 3D Donkey Kong returns