Casey Liss returns to the show to give Max dad advice.Continue reading ““A Pure Time Capsule of How I Feel” with Casey Liss”
Colin Moriarty dives into his origins of writing walkthroughs and FAQs before the rise of video. Max and Colin then explore the history and development patterns behind Naughty Dog before the imminent release of The Last of Us Part I.
- Podcast Beyond 299: Is The Last of Us the Best Game Story Ever Told?
- Podcast Beyond 188: The PSN Lives!
Starting out with FAQs
- Colin’s GameFAQs Page
- Colin’s Mega Man II Walkthrough
- The Max Frequency Podcast, Episode 14: I Have It In My Contract to Write About Survivor with Ricky Frech
- CyricZ GameFAQs Page
The True Guide Era of IGN
- Colin’s Grand Theft Auto IV Guide for IGN
- Downloading to PSP Instructions
- Colin’s The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords Guide
- Snappy Video Snapshot
Rising to Greatness and the Loss of Long-form Writing
- Rising to Greatness by Colin Moriarty
- Chasing the Stick by Max Roberts
- The Agent before Agent, a lost Rockstar San Diego project
What Happened to Part V of Rising to Greatness?
The Origins of The Last of Us Part I
- PlayStation’s Blockbuster Garden – The Origins of The Last of Us Part I
- Upcoming inFamous 2 UGC Maintenance and Legacy Franchises
- The Cross-Generational Bottleneck
PlayStation Studios’ Pattern
- Jade Raymond’s Inteview with GamesIndustry.biz
- Sony’s Stance on Microsoft Buying Activision
- Neil Druckmann Denying The Last of Us / Fortnite Rumors
- Last Stand Media Patreon
- Chapter Select, Season 0 – The Last of Us
- Chapter Select, Season 2 – God of War
It is that magical time in the Summer where Max Roberts and Logan Moore get together to predict E3/Summer Games Fest.
E3 is Dead, Long Live E3
- Nintendo Direct Wikipedia
- The Max Frequency Podcast, Episode 9: My Sweet, Sweet Baby Nintendo with Logan Moore
E3 2022 – Xbox Predictions
- Logan’s Xbox Predictions
- Starfield gets a trailer at Summer Games Fest then gameplay at Xbox showcase with no new date.
- Jedi Survivor gameplay is revealed.
- A Fable trailer with gameplay premieres.
- Wolfenstein 3 is officially announced and revealed.
- Three new first party games are announced.
- Max’s Xbox Predictions
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is shown on Xbox’s stage.
- A Banjo-Kazooie game is announced.
- A Game Pass streaming stick device is revealed.
- The Indiana Jones game is shown off.
- The Last Night reemerges.
E3 2022 – PlayStation Predictions
- Logan’s PlayStation Predictions
- God of War: Ragnaök gets September 2022 launch date announced before June ends.
- The Last of Us Remake confirmed and Factions will be packaged with it. The game won’t be announced until September.
- A new Sly Cooper game is announced. It is a reboot.
- A new Infamous game featuring Cole is revealed.
- Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is shown on PlayStation’s stage.
- Max’s PlayStation Predictions
- Half-Life Alyx is coming to PS VR2.
- A major title gets a day and date launch on PC.
- Insomniac announces a PS VR2 game.
- Death Stranding 2 gets a whacky Kojima trailer.
- Sony announces local PS3 emulation on PS5.
E3 2022 – Nintendo Predictions
- Logan’s Nintendo Predictions
- The sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild gameplay shown off, but still no official title.
- Bayonetta 3 is delayed to 2023.
- Shigeru Miyamoto reveals the first trailer for the Super Mario movie.
- A new Donkey Kong game finally revealed.
- Metroid Prime 4 is still nowhere to be found.
- Max’s Nintendo Predictions
- Bayonetta 3 release date revealed: It is October 28, 2022.
- The next DLC pack for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is out “today!”
- Game Boy games/systems are announced for NSO.
- Hollow Knight: Silk Song actually shows up.
- Metroid Prime 4 gets a trailer.
Ricky Frech teaches Max about the wide world of sports video games and Survivor. Then the two compare their guide writing practices before swapping worst wiki experiences.
How Guides Have Changed
The Toughest Guides
Ricky Teaches Max about Sports Games
- Bantam Banter 2 – Pablo Sanchez Memorial All-Valley Karate Championship
- Bantam Banter 11 – PlayStation Island
- Chapter Select Season 1, Episode 5 – Super Paper Mario
Tomas Franzese joins the show to help digest the beefy $68.7 billion acquisition of Activision Blizzard. We also chat about Tomas’s new job at DigitalTrends and discuss Hollywood tapping into the well of video game IP.
The Halo Trailer
Tomas’s New Job at DigitalTrends
Microsoft buying Activision Blizzard
The IP and Game Pass
Peter Spezia returns to the show to run through the September 2021 Nintendo Direct. Next month is jam-packed with releases, more Directs, and a new tier of Nintendo Switch Online. The fifth year of the Nintendo Switch is also shaping up to be one of its busiest and best. And of course, Seth Rogen is Donkey Kong.
The Direct’s Opening
Kirby and the Forgotten Land
The Next Stretch
Nintendo Switch Online – N64 and Genesis
“Mario” Film Cast
Philip Summers from Hand-Drawn Game Guides joins the show to talk about his first and wildly successful Kickstarter. From Ninja Gaiden to Metroid, we chat about his approach to writing a guide, as well as drawing them! We also celebrate the return of Metroid during the series’ 35th anniversary.
Hand-Drawn Game Guides Kickstarter
The Next Guide
Co-founder of IGN, Peer Schneider sits down with Max Roberts to offer a look inside the world’s largest gaming website—IGN. Peer shares about bringing video games back on TV, reacting and responding to the audience, and how to keep reporting entertainment and gaming news fresh over the course of 20 years. With 156 million monthly users across 12 platforms, IGN is a massive machine. Join us for a peek at the parts the make it all work and the community that fuels it.
Dope facts about Peer Schneider
- Peer is a meme. For real. Check it out.
- Peer grew up in Germany, went to college in Japan, and now helps run IGN in America.
- Peer wrote the IGN review for Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door. I love that game dearly.
Links to articles mentioned in the interview
(Listed in order of publication date)
- Imagine Games Network (Original Website)
- Origins: The History of IGN
- Airship Travelogues Episode 006: IGN64 Nostalgia
- Peer Schneider (Special Guest) – Kinda Funny Gamescast Ep. 89
- IGN X Twitter E3 2017 Coverage Press Release
- Don’t Die Interview with Peer Schneider
- Action and Reaction with Peer Schneider: Pockets Full of Soup Ep. 48
- Games You Should Be Playing Right Now – The IGN Show EP. 7
“If you frequent websites and YouTube channels and Twitch streams and you like something, say so. You do not understand how important it is to laud people for a job well done. And usually, we have this reaction where we want to say ‘That was awesome’ and step away. You can’t do that. Just like when you are angry—so important to give feedback when you are angry or when you disagree, very important to give that feedback—but remember to do it when you like something.”
— Peer Schneider on Action and Reaction with Peer Schneider: Pockets Full of Soup Ep. 48.
This episode was recorded on July 26, 2017.
Jerrad Wyche celebrates the most wonderful time of the year with me. We chat about E3’s return in 2021 with a focus on Nintendo and Xbox. Metroid lives and Starfield has a release date before Halo Infinite. Like I said, it is the most wonderful time of the year.
Overall E3 2021 Impressions
Ubisoft’s Avatar and Star Wars
Death Stranding Director’s Cut
- Death Stranding Director’s Cut Teaser
- What is Going on with Blue Box Game Studios?
- Returning to Death Stranding Six Months Later
The Sequel to Breath of the Wild
- Note: I did remember that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks used the same assets, as well as A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes. This is the first time for a major 3D Zelda release though, since Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Logan Moore reunites with Max Roberts for the time-honored tradition of predicting E3. Before that, they chat about Logan’s new job at Comicbook.com and just why he loves the Dark Souls game so much.
- Announcing Chapter Select
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 1 – The Last of Us
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 2 – The Last of Us Part II
- Chapter Select: Season 1, Episode 1 – Paper Mario
Working in Video Game Journalism
What’s the Deal with Dark Souls?
Cross-Generational PlayStation Games
- Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios
- Jim Ryan PS5 Interview
- Colin’s Horizon Forbidden West Tweet
- God of War (2018) Digital Foundry
- God of War (2018) ran at 1080p with an uncapped, but closely held 30fps on base PS4. Heat/Fan noise was prevalent.
- 25 Games PlayStation Studios games in Development
- Sony Reverses Decision to Shut Down PS3 and Vita Stores
- Horizon Forbidden West – State of Play
E3 2021 – PlayStation Predictions
- Logan’s PlayStation Predictions
- Spider-Man 2 is Revealed, Black Suit Spidey confirmed
- BioShock 4 is revealed for the first time, no gameplay shown but the trailer reveals the location at the least
- Half-Life: Alyx is announced for PSVR 2
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 confirmed to be in development but it’s very, very far away
- Konami IP appears, coming to PlayStation as an exclusive
- Max’s PlayStation E3 Predictions
- Sunset Overdrive comes to PS5
- A mascot character returns
- No new Horizon Forbidden West footage
- Metal Gear Solid / Snake is in the showcase
- Final Fantasy XVI gameplay and date
E3 2021 – Xbox Predictions
- Logan’s Xbox Predictions
- Halo Infinite multiplayer will be primarily highlighted, alpha/beta date revealed
- A new Banjo game will finally be announced, being worked on by second party company
- Battlefield 6 announced to release on Game Pass at launch
- Wolfenstein 3 is teased, logo shown and that’s it
- Psychonauts 2 release date set for August 20th
- Max’s Xbox E3 Predictions
- Halo Infinite Beta – Today
- Starfield only gets a trailer. No gameplay
- Perfect Dark gameplay and release window announced
- Bethesda shows off Indiana Jones gameplay
- Microsoft announces an exclusive from a prominent Japanese developer
E3 2021 – Nintendo Predictions
- Logan’s Nintendo Predictions
- Switch Pro isn’t appearing at E3, at least not as a reveal
- Breath of the Wild sequel will be shown but no release window given
- Two Smash characters will be announced; Waluigi and Master Chief
- New Metroid game is announced and Nintendo also comments on Metroid Prime 4’s development.
- Bayonetta 3 is absolutely showing up
- Max’s Nintendo Predictions
- Breath of the Wild sequel shown off with no date
- Doug Bowser and Bowser, The Koopa King appear on screen together
- Mario Kart 9 is announced. Holiday 2021
- New Metroid games do not make an appearance in the Direct
- The GameCube makes an appearance.
- 3D Donkey Kong returns
Chapter Select is a season-based podcast. Myself and Logan Moore pick a series each season and play all its entries alongside guests. The twist is we play the first game and then the most recent game, bouncing back and forth until we meet in the middle; allowing us to explore a franchise’s design, legacy, and evolution.
No fancy interview this time, Alex O’Neill joins the show to assess how the new consoles are going and share his disappointments in The Last of Us Part II. Plus, we chat about why 100 hours in Persona doesn’t actually feel like 100 hours.
Hosting Kinda Funny Games Daily
The Status of Next Gen / Current Gen
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart State of Play
- Ratchet and Clank PS5 Patch – A Practically Flawless 60FPS Upgrade
- Sly Cooper Movie Trailer
- Entering a 3D World – Thoughts on the PlayStation 3D Display
- Stranger Than Fiction
- Epic Games Publishing Announces Partnerships with gen DESIGN, Playdead, and Remedy Entertainment
Alex’s Take on The Last of Us Part II
- The Last of Us Part II Reveal Trailer
- Remaking The Last of Us and Possibly Making The Last of Us Part III
- The Last of Us Patrt II PS5 Patch
- 280 Characters is Not Enough
- Between the Sheet: Laura Bailey
Casey Liss from ATP and Analog(ue) joins me this time on The Max Frequency Podcast. We chat about how preserving ones and zeros is harder than you may think, flying drones, and celebrating working for yourself. Then Casey asks me about my own joby job.
Drive to Survive
- Drive to Survive on Netflix
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit
- ATP 403: A VCR for the Internet
- Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit Launch Trailer
- PSVR 2 Controller Reveal
- Max’s Tetris Effect Review
The Internet and Preservation
- Announcing Vignette
- RIP, Vignette
- Playing with my Son by Andy Baio
- Preserving and Rediscovering My Game Collection
- Sony is Shutting Down the PS3, PSP, and Vita Stores
- Sony Reverses Decision to Shut Down the PS3 and Vita Stores
- Max’s MiSTer FPGA Thoughts and Impressions
- Windows is Ditching Windows 95 Icons
- Setting up Windows 95 in 2021
- Chasing the Stick: The Book – Here I Go Again
- DOOM’s Open Source Code
- Famicom (NES) Disk System
Three Years of being Independent
Building a Membership
Building iOS Apps
The Most Magical Place on Earth
- Casey’s Nap in the Hall of Presidents
- Walt Disney Presents
- New Roundup BBQ Restaurant Coming to Toy Story Land at Disney’s Hollywood Studios