A deep-dive into the history of PlayStation Studios team Naughty Dog and their development during the PS4 generation. From the The Last of Us on PS3 to Nathan Drake’s finale in Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End to the 7-year sequel, The Last of Us Part II, Chasing the Stick explores how the team puts narrative on the control stick. Available as an article or a podcast for audio listeners.
Behind the Scenes
Dive into Max’s creative process as he shares how he wrote and recorded Chasing the Stick. Explore the apps, locations, and tools he used alongside the creative decisions he hade to make to bring the definitive history to light.
Naughty Dog’s Development Timeline
Check out Naughty Dog’s turnaround time from announcement to release all the way from the PS1 generation to today.
Cutting the Hair: The History of Neil Druckmann’s Hair during the PS4 Era
Inspired by Halley Gross revealing Neil cut his hair after The Last of Us Part II released, Max took the Chasing the Stick format for research and accurate reporting to explore the evolution of Naughty Dog Co-President Neil Druckmann’s hair.
It turns out that one lunch-break idea can turn into one of your more popular articles that you’ve ever written.
The Last of Us Part III
A collection of stories about the rumored development of The Last of Us Part III.
- “The Last of Us Part III Rumored to be in Production” dated December 14, 2022
- “Naughty Dog’s Next Game has a Writer’s Room” dated December 27, 2022
- “History is Repeating Itself” dated January 9, 2023
The Last of Us Prequel – From Animation to DLC to Second-Party to HBO
A very Chasing the Stick-lite timeline and analysis of the prequel story about Ellie’s mother and father.
Ski Crazed in 4K
Using a MiSTer FPGA console, Max played Naughty Dog’s second game, Ski Crazed. Max recorded the off-screen CRT footage with his Canon 90D to show off the Apple II game in 4K.
Announcement and Trailer
You can check out both the original announcement and the launch trailer for Chasing the Stick.
Help Turn Chasing the Stick into a Book
Max has been slowly chipping away at the research to expand Chasing the Stick in to a book covering all of Naughty Dog’s history. You can read more about the initial idea and how to help here.
The Last of Us Season 1 Episode Reviews
Being such an important game in Max’s life, he decide to review each episode of the first season of HBO’s The Last of Us.
- Ep. 7 “Left Behind”
- Ep. 8 “When We Are In Need”
- Ep. 9 “Look for the Light”
Naughty Dog Previews and Reviews
Here is a collection of Max’s previews and reviews on Naughty Dog’s library of games. The list is in order of the game’s release order, not publication.
- Uncharted 2: Among Thieves Review from Go Left Gaming on August 4, 2013
- The Last of Us Demo Preview from Go Left Gaming on June 1, 2013
- The Last of Us Review from Go Left Gaming on June 22, 2013
- The Last of Us: Left Behind from Go Left Gaming on February 25, 2014
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Preview from Millennial Gaming Speak on April 20, 2016
- Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End Review from Millennial Gaming Speak on May 17, 2016
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Review from Go Left Gaming on August 26, 2017
- Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Spoiler Discussion from Millennial Gaming Speak on August 22, 2017
- The Last of Us Part II Review from Max Frequency on July 25, 2020