Peter Spezia returns to the show to run through the September 2021 Nintendo Direct. Next month is jam-packed with releases, more Directs, and a new tier of Nintendo Switch Online. The fifth year of the Nintendo Switch is also shaping up to be one of its busiest and best. And of course, Seth Rogen is Donkey Kong.
Philip Summers from Hand-Drawn Game Guides joins the show to talk about his first and wildly successful Kickstarter. From Ninja Gaiden to Metroid, we chat about his approach to writing a guide, as well as drawing them! We also celebrate the return of Metroid during the series’ 35th anniversary.
Hand-Drawn Game Guides Kickstarter
The Next Guide
Jerrad Wyche celebrates the most wonderful time of the year with me. We chat about E3’s return in 2021 with a focus on Nintendo and Xbox. Metroid lives and Starfield has a release date before Halo Infinite. Like I said, it is the most wonderful time of the year.
Overall E3 2021 Impressions
Ubisoft’s Avatar and Star Wars
Death Stranding Director’s Cut
- Death Stranding Director’s Cut Teaser
- What is Going on with Blue Box Game Studios?
- Returning to Death Stranding Six Months Later
The Sequel to Breath of the Wild
- Note: I did remember that Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks used the same assets, as well as A Link Between Worlds and Triforce Heroes. This is the first time for a major 3D Zelda release though, since Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask.
Mario + Rabbids: Sparks of Hope
Logan Moore reunites with Max Roberts for the time-honored tradition of predicting E3. Before that, they chat about Logan’s new job at Comicbook.com and just why he loves the Dark Souls game so much.
- The Final Episode of Millennial Gaming Speak
- Episode 6: That’s Why They Call Me a Podcast Killer with Casey Liss
- Announcing Chapter Select
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 1 – The Last of Us
- Chapter Select: Season 0, Episode 2 – The Last of Us Part II
- Chapter Select: Season 1, Episode 1 – Paper Mario
Working in Video Game Journalism
What’s the Deal with Dark Souls?
Cross-Generational PlayStation Games
- Hermen Hulst Q&A: What’s Next for PlayStation Studios
- Jim Ryan PS5 Interview
- Colin’s Horizon Forbidden West Tweet
- God of War (2018) Digital Foundry
- God of War (2018) ran at 1080p with an uncapped, but closely held 30fps on base PS4. Heat/Fan noise was prevalent.
- 25 Games PlayStation Studios games in Development
- Sony Reverses Decision to Shut Down PS3 and Vita Stores
- Horizon Forbidden West – State of Play
E3 2021 – PlayStation Predictions
- Logan’s PlayStation Predictions
- Spider-Man 2 is Revealed, Black Suit Spidey confirmed
- BioShock 4 is revealed for the first time, no gameplay shown but the trailer reveals the location at the least
- Half-Life: Alyx is announced for PSVR 2
- Ghost of Tsushima 2 confirmed to be in development but it’s very, very far away
- Konami IP appears, coming to PlayStation as an exclusive
- Max’s PlayStation E3 Predictions
- Sunset Overdrive comes to PS5
- A mascot character returns
- No new Horizon Forbidden West footage
- Metal Gear Solid / Snake is in the showcase
- Final Fantasy XVI gameplay and date
E3 2021 – Xbox Predictions
- Logan’s Xbox Predictions
- Halo Infinite multiplayer will be primarily highlighted, alpha/beta date revealed
- A new Banjo game will finally be announced, being worked on by second party company
- Battlefield 6 announced to release on Game Pass at launch
- Wolfenstein 3 is teased, logo shown and that’s it
- Psychonauts 2 release date set for August 20th
- Max’s Xbox E3 Predictions
- Halo Infinite Beta – Today
- Starfield only gets a trailer. No gameplay
- Perfect Dark gameplay and release window announced
- Bethesda shows off Indiana Jones gameplay
- Microsoft announces an exclusive from a prominent Japanese developer
E3 2021 – Nintendo Predictions
- Logan’s Nintendo Predictions
- Switch Pro isn’t appearing at E3, at least not as a reveal
- Breath of the Wild sequel will be shown but no release window given
- Two Smash characters will be announced; Waluigi and Master Chief
- New Metroid game is announced and Nintendo also comments on Metroid Prime 4’s development.
- Bayonetta 3 is absolutely showing up
- Max’s Nintendo Predictions
- Breath of the Wild sequel shown off with no date
- Doug Bowser and Bowser, The Koopa King appear on screen together
- Mario Kart 9 is announced. Holiday 2021
- New Metroid games do not make an appearance in the Direct
- The GameCube makes an appearance.
- 3D Donkey Kong returns
Chapter Select is a season-based podcast. Myself and Logan Moore pick a series each season and play all its entries alongside guests. The twist is we play the first game and then the most recent game, bouncing back and forth until we meet in the middle; allowing us to explore a franchise’s design, legacy, and evolution.
No fancy interview this time, Alex O’Neill joins the show to assess how the new consoles are going and share his disappointments in The Last of Us Part II. Plus, we chat about why 100 hours in Persona doesn’t actually feel like 100 hours.
Hosting Kinda Funny Games Daily
The Status of Next Gen / Current Gen
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart State of Play
- Ratchet and Clank PS5 Patch – A Practically Flawless 60FPS Upgrade
- Sly Cooper Movie Trailer
- Entering a 3D World – Thoughts on the PlayStation 3D Display
- Stranger Than Fiction
- Epic Games Publishing Announces Partnerships with gen DESIGN, Playdead, and Remedy Entertainment
Alex’s Take on The Last of Us Part II
- The Last of Us Part II Reveal Trailer
- Remaking The Last of Us and Possibly Making The Last of Us Part III
- The Last of Us Patrt II PS5 Patch
- 280 Characters is Not Enough
- Between the Sheet: Laura Bailey
Casey Liss from ATP and Analog(ue) joins me this time on The Max Frequency Podcast. We chat about how preserving ones and zeros is harder than you may think, flying drones, and celebrating working for yourself. Then Casey asks me about my own joby job.
Micahel Ruiz joins me to talk about our shared love of teen angst in media, including our thoughts on Emily is Away <3. How on Earth does Archie Andrews have 30 abs and survive an underground boxing league?
Michael Koczwara joins the show to dive deep into freelance work, guide writing, and the wildly cool scene of modding and randomizing games.
Roger Pokorny from Kinda Funny joins me to talk about the myth that is Splinter Cell, why Adobe Premiere is full of jank, and how Nathan Drake’s hunger is a top 10 moment.
Part of creating The Max Frequency Podcast was to restore all the episodes of Behind the Pixel, an interview show I did in 2017 for seven episodes. These will be mixed into this feed so that the show can live on podcast services once more. Below are the original show notes, with some light editing. I hope you enjoy.
Cameron Hawkins joins me to chat about starring on one of IGN’s premiere podcasts, our shared passion for collecting games, and possibly to settle our differences about Kingdom Hearts.
Peter Spezia joins me to talk about 25 years of Pokémon, the hype and hyperbole of Smash Bros. news, and how new services may bring call-in radio to podcasts.
Surprise, I am back in the podcasting scene. Welcome to my new show with three episodes a month. I hope you enjoy.Continue reading “Episode 0: It Was Inevitable”