Part of creating The Max Frequency Podcast was to restore all the episodes of Behind the Pixel, an interview show I did in 2017 for seven episodes. These will be mixed into this feed so that the show can live on podcast services once more. Below are the original show notes, with some light editing. I hope you enjoy.
Join Max as he turns the microphone around on the founder of Noclip, Danny O’Dwyer. In September 2016, Danny left his job at Gamespot to pursue a passion for sharing stories through documentaries focused on video games. Max explores Danny’s history of using video to tell stories and discusses the future of Noclip, while learning a bit about the documentary process itself. So sit down, grab a pint, and listen to us interview the interviewer.
Dope Facts about Danny O’Dwyer
- Danny’s favorite game is Sensible World of Soccer.
- Danny hosts a podcast about F1 racing called “Shift+F1.” You can listen to it here!
- I’m not sure if there has ever been a time where Danny did not have some sort of coffee mug near his person.
Links to articles mentioned in the interview
(Listed in order of publication date)
- Citizen Game – Episode One (Part 2/5)
- Citizen Game – Episode One (Part 3/5)
- EFMS – Sensible Software
- Video Games vs. Depression
- The Story of No Man’s Sky – The Next Big Game
- Unveiling the Gameplay of No Man’s Sky – The Next Big Game
- No Man’s Sky: The Biggest Game World Ever Created? – The Next Big Game
- Introducing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Part 1 of 3- The Birth of The Witcher)
- Exploring the Vast World of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Part 2 of 3- The World of Wild Hunt)
- Unveiling the Gameplay of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (Part 3 of 3- Unveiling the Gameplay of Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)
- The Story of Overwatch: The Fall of Titan
- The Story of Overwatch: Return of the 90s Shooter
- The Story of Overwatch: 21 Hero Salute
- Danny’s Patreon for Noclip Video
- The Story of Rocket League (Part 1) – How To Build a Rocket
- The Story of Rocket League (Part 2) – How to Launch a Rocket
- DOOM Resurrected [Part 1] – To Hell & Back (DOOM Documentary)
- DOOM Resurrected [Part 2] – Designing a First Impression (Doom Documentary)
- DOOM Resurrected [Part 3] – Guns, Guitars & Chess on Mars (Doom Documentary)
- John Romero’s Irish Adventure – Noclip Profiles
- Rediscovering Mystery – Noclip Documentary (feat. Jonathan Blow / Derek Yu / Jim Crawford)
- Noclip Turns 6 Months Old! (A Postmortem & Request)
- Frog Fractions 101 – Noclip Documentary
- Frog Fractions 2: The Most Absurd Game Ever Made – Noclip Documentary
- The Witness – Noclip Documentary
- Spelunky – Noclip Documentary
- Noclip Sessions Teaser Tweet
“At GDC I had like developers and players and even the people we’re interviewing like being so nice, like being so, I think grateful is the word I’d use, which is like flabbergasting to me. Like, we were interviewing people and they were like happy we were doing this.” – Danny O’Dwyer from his vlog about Noclip’s first six months.
This episode was recorded on May 11, 2017.